Gift Shop Books
Art of the Guitar: A Luthier's Renaissance
By Steve Beckermann, Rusty Freeman, Michael Keller, and Michael J. Olsen
Full-color, 16-page catalog of an exhibition held at the Plains Art Museum, Fargo, North Dakota, February 26-June 7, 2009. The Art of the Guitar "explores the art of guitar making, or luthiery, and with it some of the cultural and historical topics that surround the art form." The exhibition catalog includes the hand-built work of numerous local guitar makers "with a selection of nationally prominent luthiers to further understand their work and significance." The loan of seven guitars from the NMM's collections helped "to create cultural contexts with historically significant guitars further expanding our understanding and appreciation of the craft and art of the guitar."
NMM instruments featured in the exhibition include:
- NMM 3385. Guitar attributed to Matteo Sellas, Venice, ca. 1640. Ex coll.: Bisiach, Milan. Witten-Rawlins Collection, 1984.
- NMM 4143. Guitar by Alexandre Voboam, Paris, 1670. Rawlins Fund, 1987.
- NMM 5581. Guitar by Antoine Aubry, Mirecourt, France, 1779. Rawlins Fund, 1993.
- NMM 6074. Guitar by C. F. Martin & Co., Nazareth, Pennsylvania, ca. 1850. Board of Trustees, 1997.
- NMM 2531. Harp-guitar by Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Company, Kalamazoo, 1916. Arne B. Larson Collection, 1979.
- NMM 13567. Guitar by Gibson, Inc., Kalamazoo, Michigan, ca. 1935-1937. Tony & Bonnie Vinatieri Acquisitions Fund, 2008.
- NMM 10738. Guitar by C. F. Martin & Co., Nazareth, Pennsylvania, 1941. John R. Barmeyer Collection, 2004.
Order #91: $4.00 (softcover)
Return to Books
Return to Gift Shop
National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069