National Music Museum Logo   National Music Museum  
Home  Collections
Virtual Tour
Calendar Gift Shop FAQ Site Index Maker Index

 

Oboe by Jakob Friedrich Grundmann, Dresden, 1784

NMM 3996. Oboe by Jakob Friedrich Grundmann, Dresden, 1784.

Built of boxwood with ivory rings, the oboe is stamped with the crossed swords of Saxony. Grundmann was the most respected Continental oboe maker of his day. Early-eighteenth-century oboes often had three keys, the one for the right little finger being doubled for the left hand, as well, since the tradition of playing woodwind instruments with the right hand below the left was not yet standardized and the key had to be available for those who wanted to play with the left hand below the right. This instrument, originally built with two silver keys, typical of oboes built during the second half of the 18th century, was later "modernized" for early-nineteenth-century use by adding another eight keys. Such an adaptation was always a tribute to an instrument's enduring high quality.

Top joint of oboe by Jakob Friedrich Grundmann, Dresden, 1784.
Bottom joint of oboe by Jakob Friedrich Grundmann, Dresden, 1784.

NMM 3996.  Oboe by Jakob Friedrich Grundmann, Dresden, 1784. Stamped on upper joint: [Saxon swords] / GRUNDMANN / 2; stamped on middle joint: [Saxon swords] / GRUNDMANN; stamped on bell: [Saxon swords] / GRUNDMANN / DRESDEN / 1784. Boxwood, ivory ferrules. Originally a two-keyed instrument; eight silver keys added, probably early in the 19th century. SATK. Length 559 mm. Ex coll.:  Marco Tiella, Rovereto, Italy, who found it an an open-air market in Genoa in the mid-1950s. Board of Trustees, 1986.


Close-up Views of Pirouette and Bell

Pirouette of oboe by Jakob Friedrich Grundmann, Dresden, 1784.
      
Bell of oboe by Jakob Friedrich Grundmann, Dresden, 1784.

Go to Checklist of Oboes

National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD   57069

©National Music Museum, 2005-2009
Most recent update:   November 18, 2009

The University of South Dakota
Return to Top of Page