National Music Museum Logo   National Music Museum  
Home Collections
Virtual Tour
Calendar Gift Shop FAQ Site Index Maker Index

 

Images from The Rawlins Gallery

Lute Modified by Thomas Edlinger, Prague, 1728


NMM 10213.  Lute repaired by Thomas Edlinger, Prague, 1728. Bass side view of lute Treble side view of lute. Back view of lute.

NMM 10213. Lute labeled Magno Dieffopruchar a Venetia and Thomas Edlinger Reparavit Pragae, Anno 1728. Ex coll.: Carl Des Fours Walderode, Hrubý Rohozec Castle, Bohemia (Czech Republic). Purchase funds gift of Margaret Ann Everist, Sioux City, Iowa, 2002.

This lute bears two labels that suggest that it was made by Magno Tieffenbrucker, the prominent Venetian maker, and modified by Thomas Edlinger of Prague.


Rose


Rose

The lute's beautifully cut triple rose was probably taken from an early Italian Renaissance lute.


Provenance

Hrubý Rohozec castle in northern Bohemia

This lute, along with another built in Venice or Padua, ca. 1600 (NMM 10214), was stored in the attic of Hrubý Rohozec castle in northern Bohemia during the 19th century (castle photo by Z. Pykalová). Perched high on a hillside overlooking the Jizera River valley on the outskirts of Turnov, now but an hour's drive northeast of Prague, the Hrubý Rohozec castle was founded about 1280, as an early Gothic castle, with a moat on the north and west sides. A Renaissance reconstruction took place at the beginning of the 17th century, when the moat was filled and gardens planted. The castle underwent a third, and final, Empire-style reconstruction in 1822.


On August 17, 1907, Nikolaus Graf Des Fours Walderode wrote from Vienna to Albert Fuchs, a Professor of Music in Dresden whose book, Taxe der Streichinstrumente (Values of Stringed Instruments), had just been published, asking, in German, about two lutes that had been kept in his Bohemian castle, "for a very long time." They had, in fact, been listed in an 18th-century inventory with the label texts that can still be seen inside the instruments today.

After World War II, Carl Des Fours Walderode brought the lutes to Vienna. On July 28, 1954, Des Fours loaned them to the Sammlung alter Musikinstrumente at the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna.


On June 12, 1979, Carl Des Fours Walderode retrieved the instruments from the Vienna museum. Two days later, he transferred legal title to his wife, Johanna Kammerlander. This photo shows Carl and Johanna with the two lutes shortly before they were placed in a climate-controlled area built to house the famous art collection of the Prince of Liechtenstein, a family friend, in Schloss Vaduz, the castle overlooking Vaduz, the major town in the principality of Liechtenstein. There the lutes remained until their acquisition by the NMM in 2002. Both lutes retain their original, fitted, leather-covered wooden cases with iron hardware.

Carl Des Fours Walderode and his wife, Johanna Kammerlander, in 1979


Views of Pegbox


Front of pegbox Back of pegbox

Front and back views of the lute's pegbox. The first single course crosses a chantrelle rider; the twelfth and thirteenth double courses are guided by a bass rider. The instrument was repaired in 1907 by Rudolf Heckel of Dresden, whose repair label is preserved inside the lute. Heckel may be responsible for the rather unrefined open fretwork (Art Nouveau style) on the back of the pegbox (similar to that on NMM 10214).

According to Robert Lundberg (d. 2001), who examined this instrument while it was on loan to the the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna (1954-1979), "this lute is one of the few which has a 13-course neck, fingerboard, pegbox, and bridge all by one maker." Several photographs accompany a discussion of it in Lundberg's posthumously published book, Historical Lute Construction (Tacoma, Washington: Guild of American Luthiers, 2002).


Bridge


Bridge

Close-up of bridge on Edlinger lute


Capping Strip


Capping strip

The capping strip at the bottom of the lute body may have been widened.

For additional information, click here to access a list of publications about this instrument.

  Click arrow to continue Rawlins Gallery Tour

Go to Rawlins Gallery Tour Index

Go to Virtual Tour Index

Go to Checklist of Plucked Stringed Instruments Made Before 1800

Technical Drawing Available from Gift Shop

National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069

©National Music Museum, 2004-2014
Most recent update: March 24, 2014

The University of South Dakota
Return to Top of Page