Images from The Utley Virtual
Natural Trumpet in E-flat by Johann Carl Kodisch,
Imperial City of Nürnberg, ca. 1700
NMM 10782. Natural trumpet in E-flat by Johann Carl Kodisch, Imperial City of Nürnberg, ca. 1700. Five-piece brass body, held together by five ferrules of alternating length (long, short, long, short, long) and a conifer block with nailed-on, hand-woven linen tapes and red-and-white woolen binding. Overlapping tab seam (in the flaring part, ca. 5 mm wide and 5 mm apart; above the ball, ca. 2 mm wide and 5 mm apart). Ex coll.: Jack and Suzanne Sigler, Ruskin, Florida. Joe R. and Joella F. Utley Collection, 2004.
The Maker's Signature
Click on images above to see larger images
Engraved on the garland, next to a scallop-shell decoration, extending over the whole circumference of the bell, and reading from the mouthpiece end: MACHT IOHANN CARL KODISCH NVRNB
The Master's Mark
Click on image above to see larger image
The engraved master's mark, a horse jumping to the right, and the initials ICK are found in the center of the garland above the signature. Johann Carl Kodisch registered this masterís mark in 1681.
Bell Rim and Garland Decorations
Nürnberg rim, wire embossed in a foliate bud pattern (Ährenmuster). The garland is engraved with four-petal flowers and tendrils. A zigzag-pattern of two alternating, diagonal double lines separates the floral engravings from the bell rim.
Click on image to see a larger image.
The upper edge of the garland shows a scallop-shell decoration. These scallop-shells were stamped from the front and then raised with a spherical punch tool from the back.
The ferrules are embossed with oblique stripes of tendrils on a dotted background alternating with plain stripes. The stripes are bordered by two groups of engraved lines on either side.
The ball is soldered together from two spherical, sheet-brass halves and engraved with five groups of double lines, one in the center and two on each side. The sleeves show the same oblique ornamental stripes as the ferrules, but have no bordering engraved lines.
This trumpet by Johann Carl Kodisch is very similar in its decoration (ferrules, sleeves, and garland) to two trumpets by the same maker at the Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nürnberg (MI 162 and MI 163). While the two Kodisch trumpets in Nürnberg are adorned with some silver plating and cast angelís heads on the garland, the present instrument is more modest in its decoration. It was slightly shortened and, presumably, originally used with shanks or crooks for the pitches of D or C.
Sounding length: 1956 mm; internal diameter receiver: 11.7 mm; internal diameter receiver minimum (at ca. 70 mm): 10.4 mm; bell diameter: 119 mm.
Sabine K. Klaus, "Found in the Sunny South: A Trumpet by Johann Carl Kodisch, Imperial City of Nürnberg, After 1681," National Music Museum Newsletter 32, No. 1 (February 2005), pp. 4-5.
arrow to continue Utley Virtual Gallery Tour
Go to Utley Virtual Gallery Tour Index
Go to Virtual Gallery Tour Index
Go to Checklist of Natural Trumpets Made in the Imperial City of Nürnberg Before 1800
Go to Checklist of European Brass Instruments
Made Before 1800
National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069