|Home||Collections||Calendar||Gift Shop||FAQ||Site Index||Maker Index|
Joe R. and Joella F. Utley Collection of Brass Instruments, 1999.
John Franklin Stratton established a business as a brass instrument maker and dealer in New York City in 1859. In 1864 he formed a partnership with John Howard Foote under the name of Stratton & Foote. Therefore, the date of this over-the-shoulder cornet can be narrowed down to the years between 1859 and 1864.Engraved on brass plaque at bell: John F. / Stratton / New = York
Body: Four-piece, single-loop brass body with tuning slide on first bow. Overlapping tab seam (sloping tabs 5 mm wide and 6 mm apart). Garland with one engraved line close to the upper edge; Saxon rim with iron-wire insert. Ferrules with one engraved line adjacent to each edge; receiver ferrule with two engraved lines. Bell to the left of the leadpipe.
Valves: Three top-action, string-operated, rotary valves. Coil-spring return mechanism; reciprocal driver pivot stopped by V-shaped cork buffers. First and third valves with internal slide tubing, second valve without slide. Windway: first, second, third valve.
Sounding length: 1278 mm; internal diameter, receiver: 10.1 mm; internal diameter, receiver minimum (at ca. 32 mm): 9.9 mm; bore diameter (inner valve slides): 10.7 mm; bell diameter: 110 mm.
This instrument is currently on loan to the the Meredith Willson Museum in Mason City, Iowa for the exhibition, Ya Gotta Know the Territory: The Musical Journey of Meredith Willson, designed and installed in 2002 by the National Music Museum.