The business of C. A. Zoebisch & Sons, New York, was founded in 1848 by Carl August Zoebisch, Jr. (1824–1911), along with his father and his brothers, Hermann Ernst and Bernhard. They were joined, around 1860, by Carl Jr.'s son, Clemence Theodor. In 1849, C. A. Zoebisch Jr. established an outlet for guitars made by C. F. Martin, who, like Zoebisch, was a native of Markneukirchen, Germany. By 1861, the Zoebisch family advertised themselves as "Manufacturers & Importers of all kinds of Musical Instruments, Strings & Trimmings." Bernhard and his father had returned to Markneukirchen by 1869 and were responsible for exporting parts for reassembly by the New York firm.
Body: German-silver with double-looped parallel tubing: leadpipe; conical first bow; main tuning slide; cylindrical third bow; valve segment; conical bell bow and bellpipe in one integral part to the right of leadpipe; French rim.
Valves: Three side-action, string-operated rotary valves. Spiral-spring return mechanism; reciprocal driver pivot stopped by V-shaped cork buffers. Inner slide tubing. Windway: third, second, first valve.
Accessories: Original wooden case, stained black, with brass fittings and cloth interior in purple and brown checked pattern. Silver mouthpiece.
Sounding length: 1292 mm; internal diameter, leadpipe: 9.7 mm; bore diameter (inner valve slides) 11.6 mm; bell diameter: 119 mm.
National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069