National Music Museum Logo   National Music Museum  
Home  Collections
Virtual Tour
Calendar Gift Shop FAQ Site Index Maker Index

 

Images from The Cutler Gallery

Violin by Chanot & Lété Workshop, Paris, ca. 1819

NMM 5972.  Violin by Chanot & Lété workshop, Paris, ca. 1819 Side view of Chanot violin Back of Chanot violin

NMM 5972. Violin by Chanot & Lété workshop, Paris, ca. 1819. Arne B. Larson Estate, 1989.

François Chanot (1788-1825) was the eldest son of Joseph Chanot, a violin maker in Mirecourt, the major French center of this trade. Rather than entering the family business, he studied at l'École polytechnique in Paris and became a naval engineer. In 1816, after a distinguished career in the navy, he was dismissed because of his suspected sympathies for Napoleon, now in exile after his defeat at Waterloo. During the following few years, Chanot turned his engineering talents to redesigning the violin and the larger instruments of the family.

Dispensing with the tailpiece, Chanot attached the strings to an ebony plate set in the belly, in the manner of a guitar. Guided by a theory that the wood fibers should be as long as possible, Chanot simplified the shape of the violin's f-holes and adopted the cornerless body design that had often been used by luthiers in the past.


Soundholes


Chanot violin soundholes


Pegbox and Scroll


Front view of Chanot violin pegbox Side view of Chanot violin pegbox Back view of Chanot violin pegbox

Chanot turned the scroll backwards to facilitate fastening the strings to their tuning pegs. Alternatively, the pegboxes of some Chanot instruments have, instead of a scroll, a simpler finial with a shield.


Quartet of Chanot Instruments

Chanot quartet

The Museum's quartet of instruments (viola, 'cello, and two violins) by the Chanot & Lété workshop, Paris, ca. 1819-1820.

  Click arrow to continue Cutler Gallery Tour

Go to Cutler Gallery Index

Go to Virtual Gallery Tour Index

Go to Checklist of Chanot Model Bowed Stringed Instruments

Go to Checklist of Violins Made Between 1800-1849

National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD   57069

©National Music Museum, 2002-2014
Most recent update:   March 7, 2014

The University of South Dakota
Return to Top of Page