Images from The Cutler
Early Nineteenth-century Flute and Clarinets
Left: NMM 1328. Flute by Gottfried
Martin, Potsdam, Prussia
Cocus with seven silver keys and ivory ferrules. Three alternate
upper joints so that the player could match the pitch standard being used
in the various venues to which a professional player of the time might
travel. Original case and the original swab for removing the moisture
from the inside of the instrument, once the player was done playing.
Arne B. Larson Collection, 1979.
Center: NMM 1355. Clarinet in C by
Goulding & Company, London, ca. 1800-1815.
B. Larson Collection, 1979.
Right: NMM 3590. Clarinet in high G by
Franz Czermak, Prague,
ca. 1810. Board of Trustees, 1985.
Click arrow to
continue Cutler Gallery Tour
Go to Cutler Gallery
Go to Virtual Gallery Tour Index
National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069