National Music Museum Logo   National Music Museum  
Home Collections
Virtual Tour
Calendar Gift Shop FAQ Site Index Maker Index


The George V. Hendricks Brass Instrument Collection

Highlights of the Collection...

The George V. Hendricks Brass Instrument Collection consists of a dozen, select brass instruments, including a double-bell euphonium by Frank Holton, Elkhorn, Wisconsin, and a rare, 4-valve Sousaphone in BB-flat by H. N. White, Cleveland, Ohio.  There is a trombone by C. G. Conn, Elkhart, Indiana, with a very early example of the F rotor so common today, a 4-valve Sousaphone in E-flat by Conn with a gold bell, and a prototype Sousaphone in Bb-flat by Buescher, Elkhart, Indiana, with one of the earliest fiberglass bells ever made.

About the Collector...

George V. Hendricks, Etna, California, collected and played early brass instruments as a hobby and was a professional fire fighter in the forests of northern California.  He chose to donate his collection to the NMM because of its "fine representation of band instruments."  Henricks, accompanied by his son, Jim, delivered the instruments to Vermillion in April 1985, making the trip from Sacramento, California, to Omaha, Nebraska, by train on the Amtrak route across the Rocky Mountains.  During their stay in Vermillion, they attended rehearsals of The Golden Age of Bands 1860-1915 and spent time with NMM staff members carefully documenting the donated instruments.

Instruments from the Hendricks Collection are available for examination by appointment (see access guidelines) in the NMM's study-storage areas.

Go to Collections Page Index

National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD   57069

©National Music Museum, 1996-2014
Most recent update:   March 1, 2014

The University of South Dakota
Return to Top of Page